Practical Solutions To Family Law Issues In Central New York
When your family is experiencing disruptions or changes, the legal aspects can seem daunting, but the good news is that a court order can signal a new beginning. In any family law case, it is important to set the stage for a stable future for an individual, couple or family unit in a parenting, marital or any other family law case.
At Felt Evans, LLP, we build on our firm’s enduring legacy in central New York dating to the early 1800s. Since 1996, Felt Evans, LLP, in its current form has been providing answers to clients on a full array of family law matters.
What Crossroads Is Your Family Facing Today?
Our lawyers in Clinton, New York, are committed to giving each client the individualized attention needed to properly address issues such as:
- Contested and uncontested divorce or legal separation
- Property division and alimony
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
- Child custody and support
- Enforcement and modifications of court orders
- Other child-related cases, including paternity actions, use of the Putative Father Registry, surrogacy agreements, stepparent adoptions, other private adoptions and grandparents’ rights
- Child welfare challenges involving the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS)
- Domestic violence and orders of protection
In all family law cases, we emphasize our full-service approach. We are committed to guiding you to a conclusion that meets your needs and those of your children or other affected family members.
While it may be difficult to discuss with your future spouse, the truth is that a prenuptial agreement protects both parties in a relationship should the couple divorce. Many people don’t realize it also determines what the surviving spouse will be entitled to when their partner dies. A prenuptial agreement lays out what happens to any assets, property, debt and income. It serves to protect assets one individual brings into a marriage such as a substantial inheritance or ownership of a business. It can also protect you if your spouse comes into the marriage with substantial debt. Without a prenuptial agreement, the laws of the state determine what happens to assets upon divorce.
Zeroing In On Divorce
New York is a no-fault divorce state, which means that neither person in the relationship has to prove wrongdoing on the part of their partner. In a no-fault divorce, the following issues must be resolved before a court will issue a divorce decree:
- Equitable distribution of marital property, including real estate, vehicles, financial accounts and household goods
- A spousal support arrangement or waiver
- Determination of child custody, visitation (parenting time) and support, when applicable
Perhaps you know or suspect that divorce is on the horizon even though the required waiting times have not yet gone by. It is never too soon to begin the work of divorce planning, and at Felt Evans, LLP, we urge potential clients to get legal advice early in the process. Our attorneys can guide you through steps such as inventorying assets and documenting parenting activities.
Start Down That Road Ahead
It is never too early to get legal counsel when you anticipate a family law case, and it can help a great deal to plan ahead.
To schedule a consultation with a family law attorney at Felt Evans, LLP, call 315-965-1426 or send an email inquiry.